Friday, October 29, 2010

Hooray for showers!


The ozonesonde launch went well yesterday – it was wonderful having the entire process thoroughly explained and then launched in one sitting.  It was also fantastic seeing the data which resulted from the launch.  The ozone hole is still depleted over Antarctica, but it is showing promising signs of its annual breakup.  Very cool stuff.

Today I took my first shower since I reported to Pole.  You may think that’s disgusting and unbelievable, but water is very scarce here.  We are allocated two showers per week, two minutes each.  Amazingly enough, it is so cold and dry down here that you really don’t get THAT dirty in a few day’s time.  Contrary to popular belief, we don’t all smell like Appalachian Trail through-hikers.  Even when you’re working hard, its still -40 to -50 degrees outside, so your body is pretty much maintaining.  It did feel wonderful to wash my hair though!  Like any 2-minute shower, you have to have a plan of attack going in.  I found it worked well to soap up as much as possible sans water, jump in for a few seconds, lather, and then spend the rest of the allotted time rinsing.  I have never put so much thought into a shower before.

After my shower, which was by far the highlight of my day, I spent the rest of the day at ARO continuing to learn the ropes with Johan, Nick, and Andy.  I feel much more comfortable after today’s time out there.  Its all coming back and I’m beginning to have a decent grasp on the job.  This is a good thing – Nick and Johan leave next week!

Our bakers made the most AMAZING dessert tonight:  a chocolate and raspberry truffle cake with white chocolate icing.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  Wow.  I can’t wait until my body has adjusted enough to the altitude so I can hit the gym!

The forecast looks decent tomorrow for flights – could this be our day?

No comments: